Are you considering homeschooling in Arizona and searching for the best online homeschooling program? Whether you’re seeking flexibility in your child’s education or an alternative to traditional schooling, homeschooling can be a rewarding choice. In this guide, we will walk you through the process of homeschooling in Arizona, including essential information about homeschool laws and requirements. We’ll also introduce you to Calibre Academy, a tuition-free public charter school offering a self-paced K-8 Remote Learning program called Calibre Virtual Academy.
How to Homeschool in Arizona?
If you’re new to homeschooling, it’s natural to feel overwhelmed. However, with the right approach and resources, homeschooling can be a smooth and successful experience.
Step 1: Research Your Options
One of the first steps in homeschooling in Arizona is to research your options. Take the time to explore different approaches and methods available, considering your child’s learning style and your teaching preferences. Popular homeschooling methods include traditional, classical, Montessori, and unschooling. Find the one that resonates with your family.
Step 2: Legal Requirements
Arizona has specific legal requirements for homeschooling:
- Submit a notarized affidavit of intent to homeschool to the county school superintendent within 30 days of starting.
- Choose a curriculum that covers essential subjects like reading, grammar, mathematics, social studies, and science.
- Start the homeschooling journey and enjoy learning together.
Understanding Arizona Homeschooling Laws
Arizona homeschooling laws are designed to provide flexibility and autonomy to parents. Key points to remember include:
- Compulsory education laws require children ages 6 to 16 to attend school, and homeschooling fulfills this obligation.
- Parents must submit a notarized affidavit of intent to homeschool to the superintendent’s office of the student’s home county school district.
- Notify the superintendent’s office within 30 days if you decide to end your homeschooling period or enroll in another school.
- While Arizona doesn’t mandate specific teacher qualifications for parents, they are responsible for providing their child’s education or hiring a certified tutor or instructor if needed.
- Record keeping, including work samples, attendance records, and standardized test scores if applicable, can serve as documentation of your child’s academic progress.
Homeschooling Requirements in Arizona
In addition to legal aspects, consider these requirements:
- Compulsory school attendance in Arizona applies to children between ages 6 and 16, but homeschooling allows flexibility in starting before age 6 or continuing after age 16.
- Homeschooling parents are not required to provide immunization records but should ensure their child’s health and vaccinations.
- Special needs students can access support through the Arizona Department of Education, allowing for individualized education plans.
Introducing Calibre Academy and Calibre Virtual Academy
Calibre Academy is a tuition-free public charter school offering grades K-8. Their educational environment integrates character development principles with a challenging academic curriculum. Calibre Academy provides various options for parents and students, including all-day kindergarten, pre-kindergarten, performing arts programs, full athletics programs, exceptional learning programs, and more.
Calibre Virtual Academy is Calibre Academy’s new self-paced K-8 Remote Learning program, providing an innovative homeschooling solution. With Calibre Virtual Academy, you can access a high-quality online curriculum that covers core subjects, offers interactive learning experiences, and allows for flexible scheduling.
Homeschooling in Arizona offers an opportunity to personalize your child’s education. By following legal requirements, understanding the homeschooling laws, and meeting additional considerations, you can create a tailored learning experience for your child. To learn more about how Calibre Academy can support your homeschooling journey, visit the website or schedule a call with us.
Embarking on the homeschooling path may seem challenging initially, but with dedication, research, and the right resources, you can provide your child with a rewarding and enriching educational experience right at home. Take the first step today and discover the joys of homeschooling in Arizona.