Your preschool and school-aged child(ren) may qualify for certain rights and protections under the Federal McKinney-Vento Act if your family lives in any of the following situations:
- In a shelter
- In a motel/hotel
- In a car, park, abandoned building, bus or train station
- Doubled up with other people due to loss of housing or economic hardship.
- In a campground due to the lack of an alternative accommodation
The AZ Department of Education (ADE) and Local Educational Agencies (LEAs– public schools & charters) have designated points of contact to provide assistance and school stability.
If you believe your child(ren) may be eligible:
- Contact the school of attendance for your child(ren), speak to the front office staff and request McKinney-Vento services as well as the district liaison contact information. OR
- Visit the ADE website to find your Point of Contact for your LEA: http://www.azed.gov/homeless/liaisons/
If you are having trouble contacting your district liaison and receiving services, please contact:
Silvia Chavez, AZ State Coordinator – Homeless Education Program
Homeless@azed.gov – (602)542-496